Thursday, July 25, 2013

Farewells

Crystal - The last day of our servant event was today. Many tears were shed and goodbyes said to our friends before we departed. It was probably the most emotional day I've had in awhile. We left North Carolina and headed back the way we came, but I don't remember most of it because I was passed out on either Aubrey's or Andrew's shoulder. We made a stop at cracker barrel,which was my first time there and then the Ohio group departed from us. A long while later we arrived in Monroe, and currently we are headed home. Before our group departed from the rest we were given our message to go and serve others through the Lord in our own towns which I urge all of you reading this to do as well. May God bless you all.

Solomon-Last night was pretty fun. We started it off with a movie which I only watched about the first half of before playing some Apples to Apples. The rest of the night was karaoke and dancing. We also had a pretty intense limbo competition. Then came the tearful goodbyes in the morning followed by the very, very long car ride I am currently in.

James Spangler-I actually stayed up all night for the all-nighter this year!! I thought I wasn’t going to make it because I was so comfortable with my pillow and laying there in my sleeping bag I fell asleep for about 20 minutes in the begging of Pitch Perfect. Once the markers came out and people started getting drawn on I decided it would be a good time to get up and join the party, to save myself and cause some trouble. Ben not only got his face drawn on but he also got a wonderful tramp stamp, it was pretty legit. We started an intense karaoke session that lasted at least an hour and a half, at least, which was followed by limbo and a dance party that lasted the rest of the night, best all-nighter ever.

Cecilia Bronsberg- Last night after we had communion and washed each other’s feet the all-nighter started. We started it off with 2 hours in the gym then went back to the fellowship hall to watch Pitch Perfect. After that I was getting pretty tired so a few of us decided to draw on the faces of the people who had fallen asleep already. Then we sang karaoke for a while and danced then before we knew it, it was time for us to leave. That was hard, especially having to say goodbye to the people who wouldn’t be back, it was very emotional. Then we started the trip back home stopping at Cracker Barrel for lunch and DQ later on. I’m really going to miss everyone.

JT- So today has been a very long day of sitting in a van and sleeping! I think I would rather be working a 10 hour shift of construction rather than do this. But beggars can’t be choosers, so I will just deal with this 14 hour drive we had back home! But other than that we all said good bye to each other before we had to leave this morning! And there was a decent amount of people that cried this year. It is almost like un-natural to not cry lolz. But then I probably have slept like 4-6 hours’ worth of this car ride and then after that just the wonderful snack we have had this ride was great! We are about an hour out now and just about to fall asleep again! Lolz well good bye and thank you congregation for allowing me to go this year once again!

Trish - I’m actually writing this on the last leg of our trip home. Nikki said we could do one more journal entry for ASE 2013. There was a story I forgot to mention from yesterday so I’m glad I will get a chance to share it now.


Let’s start the day off with the ending of the 2013 ASE all-nighter. Nikki was able to pull that off and stay up with those kiddos all night, although I think half the time she was actually working. I however was able to squeeze in some shut eye between loud roars of noise during different portions of the night. I fell asleep to a movie, woke with very loud karaoke style music to tunes from the 80s, and finally woke the last time during a limbo contest. The last time I woke was at 6am by a youth letting me know I had to get up because they had to get the room cleaned up and it was time to finalize our packing and head out. And only about 20 minutes later I find Cecilla standing against a wall, SLEEPING. (I got the pic to prove it).

It was a sad morning as tears were flowing for the goodbyes to everyone we just spent ten days with and those we worked so hard with at our sites. God truly works in amazing and beautiful ways. This is an experience I will never forget. I also will be pondering how I can use what I have learned at home. This experience will always be with me and my prayer is that I will be able to participate again. Either just as an adult chaperone and/or with my remaining three children.

I got enough sleep to drive from Asheville, NC to Independence, OH; only we had a major detour we had to take in NC which added some time to our trip, I believe two hours. That was interesting driving. It was extremely quiet in the van full of teenagers because they were all sleeping. We had an interesting pit stop though.

So to share what I forgot yesterday, I had to run to the local hardware store to pick up a little more grass seed as the front yard did get tore up a bit by a backhoe trying to find the old tank that needed to be crushed in. (We never found a tank but we did need to get it re-seeded.) Anyway I noticed a truck parked outside the store which had a business title of “Jewish Carpenter LLC”. The gentleman was in the store finishing his RTC Root Beer and he struck up a conversation with me. I was able to tell him all about ASE and what we do and what our group was currently doing. He thought that was wonderful and he was happy to hear that kids from all over where willing to come and help those that needed it. We then made name introductions and his name was Seth; what a wonderful Christian name he had. I told him that I loved the name of his business and obviously he works in construction. I just started talking about his business name and he proceeded to tell me that he was actually raised Jewish but converted to Christianity as an adult. I thought that was so wonderful. I had always heard the stories of Jewish people converting to Christianity but never had the opportunity to get to know one or meet one. It was such a wonderful conversation with this person. It shows how God is all around and works in mysterious ways. I thank God for letting this individual cross my path to talk to. It gave me such joy to know that he converted from the Jewish faith to the Christian faith. God certainly showed him the truth, as he does many others (I just got to meet this one).

I feel extremely blessed to have shared and been a part of this experience with my son and the youth from our congregation along with Nikki. She puts a lot of hard work into this with the other organizers to make this happen every year. It was a great to meet and get to know some new pastors and all the adults and youth that came to this event. I made many new friends, many of are the youth and it is so nice to have Facebook to keep up with everyone. I am so grateful that I was given the gift of experiencing this wonderful servant event and look forward to hopefully being able to participate again.   

Nikki - I am whipped, emotionally & physically.  

It is always sad coming home from ASE.  Don't misunderstand, I love my family & home and am grateful to see them when I return.  However, there is nothing quite like twelve days of being steeped in service, God's Word, and christian fellowship 24/7 as you work, study, pray and live together.  It is kind of a downer to come back to 'the real world'.  Even though I work in the church and am surrounded by brothers and sisters in Christ, there is an intentionality and a shared purpose about ASE that can not be sustained in daily living.  Everyone should be blessed to experience something like this.  

Physically aside from doing outdoor work and activities like digging and rowing that I do not usually get to do behind my desk, I volunteered to stay up as a supervising adult  for the all-nighter.  It gave me the chance to spend some more time with the youth and also to catch up on my ASE paperwork, which I had sorely neglected.  I did fine until about 4:30, when I found myself nodding off with my fingers on the keyboard.  Time to join in the dance party for awhile on the line dances I knew!  We had a lengthy detour this morning - a MOUNTAIN detour - that prevented me from sleeping in the car until about 10am.  I did get several hours of sleep while Trish drove.  

Thank you all for continuing to support Youth in Missions and the Appalachian Servant Event.  Until next year - PEACE.