Friday, July 12, 2013

Travelling

Crystal Schupbach - Today, we left our homes near Hartland, Michigan to venture toward our destination of Asheville, North Carolina. Our youth group met at the speedway gas station on M-59 at 5:15 in the morning, which was painfully early, but very much worth it. We said a prayer and then took off. We rested along the way, and then we met with the group from Monroe, Michigan, and met our first new friends.  Along the way, we played games (such as: crazy eights, go fish,war, etc.), stopped for food, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Finally, once we arrived in Asheville, we joined together to explore the facility of Emmanuel Lutheran which we were graciously allowed to stay in for the next two weeks. To finish off our day, our group attended a drum circle downtown where we saw an intriguing place and many interesting people. With this foreshadowing of our stay in Asheville, we can tell that we will really enjoy the opportunities here.

Cecilia Bronsberg - We started off our day at the Speedway gas station in Hartland, Michigan where we began our voyage. We said our goodbyes and we were quickly on our way. After about five minutes I realized I had forgotten one of my most cherished possessions, my phone. Our first stop was in Monroe to pick up the other kids from Michigan who would be going with us who soon became friends. As the day went on everyone seemed to become more comfortable around each other. We stopped at the Waffle House for breakfast and Subway for lunch. Later, we arrived at the church and unpacked. We then went to a drum circle in the city. It was very interesting and cool to experience. There were many different people there who got together to share their interest in music.  For dinner after the drum line we went to Sonic, which I had never had before. Then we made our way back to the church played some basketball and went our separate ways.

JT Mrozek - Today we took our long adventure through the wonderful world of AmErica. we traveled through a lot of states. and we also stopped for some very yummy food! there was a lot of sleeping and talking on the car ride. although I did watch a couple funny card games. then after a while we finally showed up! I felt as if I were home once again. I am looking around I I felt as if we left for a day and everything is in the same place. I love it here it is such a wonderful feeling being here with everyone. and I cant wait for tomorrow, because all the other states start to show up. I cant wait to say hi to some old friends and be able to talk to them again. I am sad that my best friend from last year isn't going to be here. but I am very proud of her (Katelyn Riechers) for making it into the air force academy. well I think it is about sleepy time! so I will write again tomorrow! one last thing I want to thank everyone who helps us with this trip including our church and the youth directors. and a special thanks to Mrs. Spangler because she does like all of this for us.

 Solomon Spangler - Today, after an early morning wake-up call, I embarked along with my group on a long journey which eventually landed me at Ashville, NC.  Along the way I met other Michigan church groups and learned the names of some of them.  I also got the opportunity to try a new restaurant called Waffle House.  Following the thirteen-hour trek to Emmanuel, I struggled to set up drum tight army cots.   Having unpacked our entire Michigan youth group went to the Ashville drum circle.  There I had the opportunity to hear impromptu, rhythmic music and some very enthusiastic dancers.  As it past nine o’ clock, we decided it was time for a delicious, overdue meal from Sonic.  A short time and a confusing receipt later, we were enjoying some good burgers (or chicken) and delicious shakes I had never had before.  We then proceeded to go back to Emmanuel, where we discussed a few topics and proceeded to play a quick game of basketball. 

Trish Mrozek - This is the first time I have participated in something like this.  I have been excited and nervous to see what transpires over the next 2 weeks.  I have already met all the Michigan kids and leaders and I look forward to meeting the rest of the kids and leaders from other states tomorrow.

We had a chance to go into town tonight and listen to the drummers in the Drum Circle.  

With that today was a long day driving and I will ask the Lord to Bless our trip and work here and also to bring the remainder of the workers here safe and sound.
James Spangler
4:30am After staying up for the duration of the night hours my stomach seems to be in pain from lack of food.

4:35am "Lack of food" pains have been successfully eliminated!!

5:00am Jt, my mother, sol, and I pile into the van, it takes only a minute to fall asleep.

5:20am We reach speedway to meet with the others from our group and say a prayer before heading out.

7:00am I am woken again to meet this time with the other two Michigan groups, after another prayer and a short run through the parking lot to stretch out, we begin the long stretch of our trip.
9:00am Woken from a wonderful slumber to hear talk of a waffle house where we will dine for breakfast, then go back to bed

1:00am LUNCHTIME!!

6:16pm We arrive and unpack our shtuff into the church.

8:00pm The group goes to Ashville to enjoy a cultural experience and take part in the drum circle going on in the downtown area.
Nikki Spangler - I believe that today is most non-eventful departure & drive to Servant Event that I have experienced in seven years of participating.  Non-eventful is good when you are talking about a 12-13 hour travel time with 19 people.  There are three Michigan who traveled together in two vans.  Our van had 11 seats and 11 people, plus lots of luggage.  The full van actually made for a fun trip.  My goal tonight was to post before midnight, so I am going so sign off until tomorrow.  Blessings all!