Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On Our Way Home

James Spangler
Yesterday was the last day on our worksite. We finished at about noon and then went out to eat at a local restaurant. I had a full brisket sandwich, half a pulled pork sandwich, some fried apples, chicken tenders, hush puppies, fries, and a brownie sundae. To say the least I was very pleased with my meal. After that we went to some souvenir shops and I ended up getting a big knife (the blade being the size of my forearm). Once we got back we packed and had dinner, shortly after everyone was done packing we did a game to find out who our secret servant was and then had the talent show, I was part of it in a group with Phil, Cole, Hiawatha, and Joey. Now (after closing worship) we’re having an all-nighter and watchin some movies before we have to leave in the morning. I’ll be seeing all of you back home soon, but I will also miss everyone I met here at ASE very much.

Rachel
Asheville yesterday was great. We went to Marble’s ice cream company, the most yumalicious ice cream ever. I didn’t buy anything from the indie trade shops that we stopped at. Last night was also the all night party. I watched mean girls and the beginning of iron man 2 before I was like,” That’s it, I’m going to bed.” We all started the longest massage train of all times, and it felt so good to get my back massaged after a long week of hard work. We were woken up around 5:30 am to clean up the fellowship room, and then the tears started to flow. Luckily, the Michiganians will be able to see each other, because most of us live within an hour of each other. I am depressed that I won’t see any of the friends I made till next year, possibly never again because this is their last year of high school. I want to go back next year and would recommend this to a friend. Talk to you all next year.

Seth Whitehouse
Yesterday was our last day. It was good but sad. Half the people in our group split up to work on the site or to work at the church. I worked at the church and then went into Asheville, which was fun. The talent show was awesome, a lot of musical stuff. The all nighter was also enjoyable, but unfortunately the morning came and that was rough and sad saying good bye to all those good friends.

David Lang
Last night we had an all nighter, actually for me it was like a half nighter. We watched movies after we had church, we watched mean girls, iron man 2, and rango. I only made it through mean girls and the beginning of the iron man. They also had snacks for us. Then in the morning we had to finish cleaning up the church to the way it was when we got there. Then we had muffins for breakfast, and everyone said goodbye. Now we are on our way home, we are driving all the way in one day this time.

Nikki
We are on our way home. This is always a sad time for me. As much as I miss my family when I am gone, it is an indescribable experience to be completely immersed in God’s word and serving as Christ’s hands and feet in a very tangible way. It is difficult to transition back into ‘the real world’, even though we have learned this week that we are to be God’s salt and light to the world. Kind of hard to do that if you are not in the world, huh?
This year was the 30th anniversary of the Appalachian Servant Event. Some of the folks who began this event and have served here for the entire 30 years are now bowing out. 30 years is a long run for anything. The knowledge that this is likely their last year brought it’s own sadness. This event was their (God given) dream and it has been amazing in just the five years that I have been involved to see how much of a ‘God thing’ ASE is. There are different people every year, but always with the precise skills that are needed for that year. There are always set-backs, but they teach us, both to trust in the Lord for all things and how to something better or different. I trust that the Lord will keep ASE going for many years to come, as long as it continues to fulfill His will, both for the people that we serve and for those who come to serve, youth & adults alike.
May we all go forth and serve as God’s Salt & Light wherever we are planted. To God alone be the glory!

Jake Nichols
Slept in the car a lot, slept though three states. I woke up when I smelled the twizzlers being opened. There’s not much to write about. I’m eager to get home to see my puppy and family.

Jimmy Pacey
The all nighter was fun. I was doing well up until around 4 o’clock. I took a nap during the middle of the movie Rango. We cleaned up put everything back in order and prepared to leave. There were many tears shed as people were ushered to their vehicles to part ways. The community we had built over the past ten days was at an end. But, we will all remember the friends we made and the lessons we learned working together. The drive back to Michigan has gone smoothly. Taking naps makes the trip go buy much quicker; as well as the pleasant company in the van.