Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Work Day 1

Nikki
Had some connection issues with the network here last night. Monday was very hot, but we got a lot of work accomplished. We are doing a new kind of fill in the septic field this year, so our trenches only have to be 12” wide by 18” deep. It would seem like this is better because it it is less digging, but I actually find it more challenging than the 3’ x 3’ trenches because the work space is small. It is better for this site, because it is quite rocky, but the work is easier in the bigger trenches. Better get these up for everyone now that I can get online. Oh yes, Rachel, Seth, David & I are all on site one. Mr. Pacey, Jake & James are all on site 2. Hopefully the youth with tell you a little about each as the week goes on.

Rachel
Well, all I can say is that cold showers are like heaven to all of us. Today, we started to dig the trenches and build the bathroom extension, while singing songs. It felt like Les Misérables, except there was no very gloomy music being sung. If you want to know how hot it was, when a cloud blocked the sun we started cheering. There was a rain cloud right above us for twenty minutes, and it didn’t rain, even when we did the rain dance. The owners were very kind and kept telling us that we should take a break. Only ten more days of working, and hopefully it rains because tomorrow is supposed to be over a hundred degrees. We all groaned when we heard that.

Jake Nichols
Heck with the Z I’m tired. I don’t remember anything. Hey it’s kinda like school. So I saw a North Carolina license plate then I realized where I was. We worked on our first site today. It was great weather. We basically got a lot more than expected done. Blah blah blah. I forgot everything else. I’m brain dead.

David Lang
Today was the first day on the job site. I am on site one. We are putting in a septic system and a bathroom addition on to her house. I was helping a crew with the bathroom addition portion of the job site. Her house is over 100 years old so we have to do a lot of prep work before we can really start on the addition, so that is what we did today.

Seth Whitehouse
The first day was hot. Our work group all got along. The shower felt really good. It looks like we don’t have to dig as much this year. So, we pretty much just dug today, except for the people working on the bathroom addition. And, to my mom and dad, I know why I’m not supposed to drink milk after my morning pill.

James Spangler
As stated by the others, today was the first work day. Due to my scrawny figure my pants would not stay up and I forgot a belt, although one of the pastors had some suspenders I got to borrow. I ended up chopping down a small tree so I found them quite fitting after reluctantly accepting them. I think I’ll be rockin those all week. I got suggestions to get a flannel shirt to complete it. After the tree and the stump was removed I started the on the trenches and that’s where we ended today. The site I’m on is moving along pretty well, I think the work will get done fairly quickly.

Jimmy Pacey
We woke early and after breakfast headed out to our work sites. It was amazing to see the camaraderie that the youth had and developed while working side by side. Nothing like digging in the trenches with someone to get to know them better. We are split between two sites. At the location I am working we are putting in a septic system, and running water for a man by the name of Arthur. While working we also had the opportunity to learn more about him and his life as well as share our own. I, and I am sure the youth as well, are eager to serve and look forward to completing the tasks before us.