Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tuesday


James Spangler – Day two on worksite three. Whilst digging the septic we ran into a slight predicament. There was a pipe in the way of our beautiful hole. We don’t know what it’s for either but it doesn’t look like it is in commission anymore. It divides the whole hole for the septic in half almost perfectly. We have nearly two trenches completed and the pit for the septic is half complete. The daughter (Courtney, who has some disabilities) of the woman (Tammy) whose house we’re working for drew us a picture today, it was purty. Tomorrow we should be able to get almost all the digging done or at least relatively close to. Suspender Swag.

J.T. Mrozek- Well today was interesting. As I worked I felt like working more. Over all I got a lot done but it felt like I didn’t do enough like I should move faster tomorrow or something. But yes I got a lot done and I am happy that I was able to come down and do this work. But I think if we have to do any more installation I am going to sit on the side lines.

Seth Whitehouse- Today we got a lot done on the site. We got half of the sub flooring done and will tile that tomorrow while we patch the holes in on the other side of the house. The roof is also going well. The people’s kids helped us a lot more today, and they’re all our age. I got to talk to them for like the whole day, and it was great, I can’t really put in words. Hope everything’s good at home, bye.

Nikki Spangler –Today I learned my way around the town of Hot Springs on four trips into town.  I visited both hardware stores, Dollar General, the local outfitters (the Appalachian trail passes through Hot Springs), the gas station, and the post office.  Needless to say, I spent a lot of time driving and shopping today.  The home we are working on is only about five miles out of Hot Springs, but remember that these are mountain miles.  In the mountains the old ‘mile a minute’ time estimate does not work like back home in Michigan.  After lunch I did actually ot Springs, Hget to do some work.  I know (having been on the receiving end) that these trips into town for supplies (different nails, screws, ear plugs, gas - & can – for the generator, paint rollers for the roof, etc) are important, but it doesn’t feel like I am doing anything.  So I was glad to pitch in on the work in the afternoon.  There is a lot of general clean up to be done on the property and I helped with that.  I killed a snake that was uncovered in a trash pile.  I ferried supplies and filled water bottles.  I got to nail down some of the plywood flooring at the end of day.  Not quite digging trenches, but I made myself useful.  I did not get as much visiting with the family in as I did yesterday, although there was some.  The family continues to work with us and it is a blessing to see them invested in the project with us.  

Note: I had a problem posting pictures - my web album memory is full, despite having deleted a large album.  I will have to address this when I have more connection time available during daytime hours.

P.S. Feel free to drop the group an e-mail at OurSaviorASE@gmail.com . Morale improves when the youth knows they are being read.