Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Final 2010 journal

Mark: Well today has been a long day already. Last night and this morning we were allowed to pull an all nighter if we felt like doing. I decided to fall asleep though. So I slept for about 3 hours. Then it was like Jesus was coming down from heaven and a bright light shone! I realized that it was not Jesus it was only our counselors flipping the lights on at 5:30 in the morning. We woke up ate breakfast, said some goodbyes, and circled up for announcements like the usual morning routine. After that we said some goodbyes again. We headed outside to get ready to leave and ended up saying goodbyes again. (I think we will all miss North Carolina and all the participants.) Then we left. So as I say goodbye to ASE and the servants of ASE I say goodbye to you. Thank you one last time and God Bless!

Nikki: 10:45am – We are currently driving through Tennessee on our trek home. As you might imagine, the final day at Servant Event is jam packed, and we neglected our journals yesterday. My job site, along with a few from other sites who didn’t want to go into Asheville, took the opportunity to go climb Mt. Pisgah yesterday. There are some pictures in the photo album, but it was about a 3.5 mile hike total, 2.0 up the mountain and 1.5 down, because we parked by the wrong trail head! Fortunately, there were a few who stayed back by the vans and we had left the keys with them, so we were able to call them and they moved the vans to the closer parking lot for us. It was a VERY exhausting hike up the mountain, but it was exhilarating to be on the peak.

It was a fitting final day activity for ASE 2010. Just as we climbed down off of the mountain yesterday, today we are coming back to the foothills of our busy everyday lives after the spiritual mountaintop experience of Servant Event. It is my personal prayer for all of the youth that they are able to retain some of this experience and carry it into their everyday life. To be sure, it is a challenge. We are moving from surrounding of constant prayer, study, and working and playing together in an environment of Christian love to the world, where we are pulled in many directions by worldly needs and if we are lucky we have a few prayer partners to share with freely and openly – if we are lucky. Even after four years, I do not fully understand how we are able to create the safe, no judgment atmosphere we have at Servant Event that encourages both youth and adult alike to examine themselves and their lives and freely share their hurts, concerns & shortcomings. I do know that is very powerful and something that you can not fully understand without experiencing it for yourself. It is definitely a God thing. His blessing is on this, sometimes in spite of us. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this and hope to continue doing so for many years if it is God’s will. It is definitely a highlight in my year. It renews my spirit.

Rachael: Hmmm. I don’t know what to say. Today was the last day of ASE 2010. It was a great one. I will never forget the people I met, the memories I made, and how this event has changed my life. These people are the best group of kids ever. When you pull together a bunch of teenagers that are on fire for Christ, great things can happen, and they did. This morning was incredibly sad to leave. Not gonna lie, I had some issues stopping crying. But now I can look back and know that I had a great time, met a lot of people and learned a lot at ASE 2010. We are out to lunch now. Bye


Sarah: Yesterday was the all-nighter. After dinner, the kids played the game “Honey, I love you,” which was fun. I actually got a chance to go in the middle this time to try to make someone smile. Then we had community life, and afterward was the talent show. That was quite funny, and I took videos of most of the acts. Also, we revealed our Secret Servants. Mine was Steven from Minnesota; he said that he liked all of my gifts, which made me happy. Then we had spiritual life. The whole foot washing/communion part is one of the best parts of the whole trip. Rachel (NC) from last year was there for that part and we had sharing of the peace before communion. After spiritual life, we started the all-nighter. Nobody bothered watching the movies that were played because we were all too busy hanging our for the last few house that we had together. I spent the night hanging out with Heather (OH), Elizabeth (OH), Zach (N’ville), Tess (WI), Stephen (OH), and SeDell (MD). It was a good time. Eventually Heather & I fell asleep. I think that this was around 3am. This morning was super rough, though, as we all had to say our goodbyes. Basically every girl was crying (myself included) and some guys were also. It took forever to get out because we said goodbye for so long. WI, both MI vans and OH rode in a big convoy, and at our first rest stop we got to switch vans, so I rode to OH until we got to the Cracker Barrel in KY. After lunch, everyone parted ways and we are on our way home.

Adam: I had a wonderful time. I met many interesting people and had some great conversations. I look forward to continuing to serve in Michigan in my home, church, and community.

Seth: Yesterday was a fun free day where we got to go to Asheville, do the talent show, and have an all-nighter. Today was the last day, and I don’t think we would have ever left from the goodbyes. The goodbyes were very difficult. Overall though, the benefits of this trip far outweighed the sad goodbyes. I will really miss one kid in particular. I have mixed emotions. I want to stay, but I know I have to go back to my life in Michigan. I look forward to seeing my family. I’m determined to go back next year. It was one of the greatest trips I’ve ever had. I have learned so much. I don’t want to let it go, and I will try not to. It was a great trip.

Luke: I guess I have to write one more journal. Unfortunately, I’m writing on the way home, which is by far the worst part of the trip. I’m tired, depressed, and my poison ivy is driving me nuts. Saying goodbye was the hardest this year, because there’s no doubt this was the last year I will be going to ASE and also the last time I would see some really close friends. Just looking forward to college now.