Thursday, July 12, 2012

Wednesday


Seth Whitehouse- Today we got a bit done. It also rained a lot today. I talked with the 18 year old Shilako while he and I were working on the flooring. Everybody’s great to work with, and hopefully tomorrow we will start tiling. I really don’t know what else to say, but I hope everything is going well.

J.T. Mrozek- Rain, rain go away, come back…. Some other day. Today we got a decent amount done, but yet again the rain ruined it! I mean I got the rest of the dry wall up on the walls. And I built a stair case with the help of a guy I like to call Alex. And the only really hard part is when you need to screw stuff in and all of the power tools run out of battery, and then the only other thing you have to use is this thing you call a screw driver. Now I don’t know about you but it is very hard to screw screws in with a screw driver. Especially when the wood is treated, but I also got some framing around an open window in and some ply wood put in its place. But that is all I got done today because right after the first 5 hours it started pouring rain. But tomorrow I think I have plumbing ahead of me. Now it is time to go drink some Mt. Dew and go to bed. Good night

Zach Foor- It rained. A LOT. It’s all good though because we got a lot done. My feet smell bad right now and that’s odd because I washed them… Anyways, I’ll write a better journal tomorrow. I’m having a blast here, just to let you know. Meeting new people, it’s good to try new things.  

James Spangler – Today we found out (thankfully) that the pipe obstructing our pit was no longer in commission.  Someone from the water department came up to the site and looked at it, tested  it by cutting it halfway, then after nothing came out, he cut it the rest of the way out. Because we dug half of the septic pit yesterday we were able to knock out almost the previous days work in only two minutes. Danielle is being mean to me cause I called her by her sisters name once accidentally. Anyway it started raining like carazayyyy later, luckily only about an hour before we left. The roads were practically flooded by the time we came back to the church. I wanted to go tubing behind the van. Woulda been bomb.

Nikki Spangler – I had an exciting day in the rain today.  Since we have a dumpster on site, we had the pleasure of emptying out a garbage ‘pen’ into the dumpster.  The pen was about 3.5’ high and full.  The top layers were not too bad, but the bottom layers have had plenty of time to start decomposing and were in the slime stage.  Add the day long drizzle and it was a pretty messy, smelly experience.  When I get pictures up, you will get to see the giant spider and giant slug that posed for me.  They are just a representation of all the creatures that we disturbed.  We had a knife throwing contest this afternoon and I stuck the knife in the tree the first throw.  (Don’t worry – we used archery range safety practices.)

4 trips into town again, but shorter & more spread out trips.  If you ever happen to be in Hot Springs, NC and need a hardware store, go to Gentry’s.  He is friendly and helpful and has reasonable prices.