Friday, July 6, 2012

Getting There

The past several years there have been three Michigan groups at ASE.  This year they are all small groups, totaling 11 people, so we decided to travel together.  We drove straight through today so that we can prep Emmanuel, Asheville facilities for the Servant Event take over before everyone gets here tomorrow.  (THANK YOU Emmanuel for letting us take over hearth & home and feeding us all for 12 days!)  It was a LONG drive coming right after 4th of July this year.

We arrived safely.  We are especially grateful for this today, as we passed a very bad accident on I-75 KY mile 16 (or so) that involved two medi-vac helicopters and a coroner's van.  It is hard to be upset at being delayed when you know someone's life is in peril.  We don't know the details of this accident, but God does.  Please pray for those involved and their families, as well as for the safe arrival of the other six Servant Event groups arriving tomorrow.

Our guys have decided to be creative with their blogs this year (or at least for today) so enjoy!  Also, since we are traveling and rooming with the other Michigan groups, we hope to have some occasional guest blogs for you this year.

Nikki


Seth Whitehouse- Today I drove in a van for about 14 hours, slept a bit, ate a lot, and listened to music a lot. I was walking down the hall, then I punched the wall, right through into the bathroom stalls, under which I crawled, the person in it was rather appalled, and it was the cops he called, he was very tall and bald, and I was very small, so to avoid a brawl, much butt I hauled, to create a quick loll, so I could jump into a u-haul, which was heading to DePaul, then the engine stalled, and things started getting dull, so I got out and walked to the mall, where I bought a basketball, with which I dribbled like Chris Paul, and made my opponents fall into a knoll, where they were attacked by Darth Maul and all his thralls, who turned them into ragdolls, then took them all to give to his friend Saul whose daughter wanted some small dolls.

James Spangler-My day. Oh what a day, I must say. It started at night, the dead of night, for I did not sleep, thus when the hour struck five and we departed for the first leg of our journey, I would be able to retire to the back seat of the 15 passenger horseless carriage, where I could sleep. The plan did not go as I had intended, however I did log many hours of sleep time during our voyage. The rest was spent listening to music and talking mostly with the ones who are called J.T. and Mariah. Once the carriage needed a refueling we stopped to refuel ourselves. We ate at a place named Cracker Barrel, which is where I learned that we were much farther south than we had originally started, due to the accent the workers had. The meal was one of delight and I filled myself with wonderful food; bacon, eggs, and French toast. Then we drove the rest of the way to the church here and are the first group to get here.

J.T. Mrozek- well, today is the first time I have been this far away from home. Considering this is the first time I am making this trip. I am excited to see how this all works out. So far I have met some very nice considerate people, and have eaten at this place called Crackle Barrel, which just so happens to be a great place to endure yummy foods. I have been told that we have a couple work sites, and as I look forward to the rest of this week and how much fun and work I get to do. I wait to see how the rest of this week goes. Although the ride down here seemed pretty long I am sure after working in this heat for almost two weeks that the ride home will be even longer.