Sunday, July 17, 2016

Saturday

Laura

Our site leader decided he wanted us to work on the site today, so some of us volunteered to go out. I chose to go (despite the sensible part of me telling me I need sleep) because I really want to be there whenever we work on the roof now. And I especially want to be there to finish the roof, which we would've done today had we not run out of shingles. I really truly appreciate everyone in our group, the roofers in particular. I'm really going to miss them. It also started pouring today, but we've come to expect that. Afterward, a very nice old neighbor couple gave us $200 and told us to go buy ourselves a nice lunch. The gesture was greatly appreciated, and we went to a nice little restaurant in Hot Springs. The food was not excellent, but I guess the small town diner experience is worth it.
After we got back from lunch, I played lots of card games with some cool kids which was really fun. Davis taught us a new game called Capitalism that he and his friends made up which was really fun. I just remembered I didn't show him An Engineer's Guide to Cats. What a disappointment. Tomorrow.
We went to Shindig on the Green today. It was really mediocre, but we played more card games and walked around to cool shops. We ate at The Mellow Mushroom, a hippie restaurant featuring delicious pizza. The interior was decorated with some very odd murals and sculptures. That experience combined with the peculiarly dressed individuals we saw walking in the city have convinced me that Asheville would be a pretty cool place to live.
We had "ask the pastor" today, where the three pastors answered questions we had previously written and placed in boxes. For some questions, they gave very satisfactory answers, but for others there was much left for thought. Some people put in joke questions which I thought was kind of funny, but then those who put them in loudly complained that the pastors weren't answering the good ones. And that kind of made me sad. But I guess not everyone takes things seriously.
I just reread what I wrote, and I am realizing that I do not write very coherently at night when I'm exhausted. But I don't super want to fix anything. So, sorry about that.
I really like Easter hymns. We should make it a tradition to sing Easter hymns like every week. Because Easter is what it's all about really.
I was really excited for church tomorrow. But then I found out we're taking pictures afterward. I am less excited about church now. Hopefully we sing lots of cool hymns.

Vici

Today I volunteered to help site 4 which was the septic site. So for those who might not know its a lot of digging. We also happen to be in North Carolina so everything below grass is clay. It was interesting. I wouldn't call it fun. It was hard work and it rained twice. Although we finished burying just about everything. We really helped that site out so I'm glad I was able to help. After we took a shower we went into downtown Asheville and ate at the Mellow Mushroom. It's a pizza place and it was actually very good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Then we went to Shindig on the Green. I don't think kids really actually what'd it. We all walked around in town, would go back for a break, ask pastors and leaders if we could keep walking, and or grab more people. It was pretty fun. We came back did some worship and ate some tacos. Everyone is trying to avoid the fact that we leave Wednesday. It will be weird going back home after being with everyone for almost 2 weeks.

Dennis

Hey guys, today was a good day. We went to the work site at 8:30am wooooohhhh!!! Since it was a Saturday we volunteered for it and we worked our butts off, and helped the trench site finish up some of the necessary work they needed to do before the forecasted rain coming this week. I am glad that I came out to help it was a lot of fun and I got to spend time with my best buds digging. After we were done with work we got to shower and then traveled to downtown Asheville, the annual Shindig on the Greene, and also Mellow Mushroom. An amazing pizza restaurant in the center of Asheville that serves some of the hands down best pizza I have ever had. Afterwards we got to explore Asheville, and I got to take some amazing pictures of the murals and sights which decorated the majority of street corners. We also afterwards got to ask the pastors some very interesting questions and received some very interesting answers, I had a lot of fun today and I just pray that tomorrow will be better.