Monday, July 18, 2022

New Beginnings - ASE 2022 Sunday night - July 17

 Nikki Spangler

Appalachian Servant Event is finally back after a two year hiatus due to COVID-19.  It’s amazing how some things are still the same and some are different.  While my last year at ASE was 2019, the last time there was a group of youth from Our Savior was 2016.  So there have been no journals for a long time.  I confess that journaling, and coercing others to journal, is not my favorite thing.  However, I have often looked back at journals for details of projects and the memories of how various years played out.  I appreciate HAVING the journals.  So here we are.

This year I have a group of three 14-16 year old young men.  A group of all boys is a different sort of thing than a mixed group.  My own sons are now 23 & 26, so it has been about 10 years since I’ve spent significant time with a group of all boys this age.  It can be a lot of fun.  I am out of practice though and it is a different kind of energy level.  We are enjoying the ride and I am getting back in practice!

Tonight everyone learned what work sites they will be on and we are looking forward to digging into our work tomorrow.  Speaking of digging, this is the firs year that we do not have septic site.  This is a little sad for us.  But do not worry – we have at least one French drain to do and possibly some other digging. It is way past lights out, so I must be off to be.  Please keep us (Our Savior ASE) as well as the entire event and our homeowners in your prayers as we embark on this year’s adventure being salt and light in the world.

Nathaniel Hardy

This servant event has been really enlightening to be able to help people.  Today was fun cause we got to hang out and had fun.  Tomorrow we start work sites.

 

Caleb Mrozek

DAY 1 

So today we played games to introduce each other and get to know people and I thought it was pretty fun. We went over the rules so now I understand them more. Last but not least we had a little church service to get us ready for the Sunday service 

 

DAY 2 

Today we went to church and had a full church service. It was pretty different from church where I am but that’s alright I like trying new things. And then we visited all the worksites we will be working over the days.

 

 

Raymond Schleif

Today we went to the church service and it was a little different but it was nice. At 1:00 went went to see the job sites we were going to be at this week. We came back and I played basketball it was very fun.