Monday, July 18, 2022

Monday - Slow and Steady

Nikki

We have decided to do journals on a rotating basis.  I intend to write each day.  There are three worksites this year so we have a youth on each site.  The first Monday is always a little slow as we get the work sites organized and assess the project.  This year is even more as our project director is not able to be with us.  Many are pitching in to fill this void, but it is not the same as having one person focused specifically on that task.  We miss you Steve and wish you speedy healing!

I am on a worksite that has several projects that need two to four people.  The group accomplished a lot today.  One thing that is always a challenge is that because this is a YOUTH event, my primary role on the work site is to demonstrate and direct work and allow the youth to DO the work.  On a septic site, there is always enough to do that I get to work with them.  This particular site, I have no specific expertise on and work space is tight.  I am doing a lot of figuring out, facilitating and fetching.  While I know this is all important and part of making the magic work, it feels a little like I am not doing anything.  

I did get to spend some time visiting with our homeowner today.  I learned that while her family has owned this home for over 50 years, it was a rental property for a time.  The original home was built in the late 1800's.  There are two additions, one of which is the focus of our work.  It houses the bathroom and laundry.  Being in the mountains, the addition has settled over the years and is pulling away from the main house, causing significant drafting.  We are working on improving insulation and sealing up the gaps.  Some flooring needs to be replaced in the laundry room.  We are also replacing an exterior door and building a landing and new steps so that her second exit is viable.  

As a whole, ASE is settling into work rhythm now.  I look forward to seeing everything God has planned for us over the next 9 days.


Caleb

DAY 3 

Today was our first day of actual work and we had to dig a waterline for water to run past the house so it doesn't destroy it and we almost got it finished. I ended up pulling out a rock that looked like Texas and I plan to bring it home if I am allowed. It’s actually a lot of fun to work because you know you are making a person's life so much better 


NS: This is a french drain project to divert water that currently goes under the home