Sunday, July 10, 2016

Just a Little Sunday Driving

Nikki

I am endeavoring to post by midnight, so this must be brief. Today was a good day of everyone getting to know each other and a very LONG drive through some very twisty mountain roads. I was one of the drivers, so while I did get to participate in some of the conversation in the car, I had to keep my mind and eyes on the road. I was ready for a big stretch and to be out of the car by the time we returned. I will let the youth fill you in on the rest.

Vici

Today we had worship through the whole morning. After we had an awesome lunch, which was ham and potatoes, we drove to all 4 sites. In all it took about 6 hours to drive to all of them and to get back. After we got back we ate dinner, which was lasagna. Then we did more worship until about 11. Now I have to go to bed Bc I have to get up at 6:15. So goodnight from me. Happy reading.

Dennis

Hi everyone, I am Dennis I know I haven't really posted anything so far but today, I will change that right this second.. Today we spent all day in the car after church traveling to the new work sites we visited some really cool places which all had amazing views I got to really interact with the rest of the youth in the Michigan groups and made some friends and some frien-emies (she knows who she is). We got to meet the majority of the people whose homes we will be working on and got a quick rundown of what jobs we are expected to complete. It was a fun drive full of talking singing and the appropriate oohs and ahhhs as we passed various scenery. When we came back we had community life and spiritual life before finding out which sites we will be working on. I got placed on a site which we have to replace a bridge so I am very excited and just a little intimidate to be facing such a big job/I am writing this as I head to bed and I should really catch some sleep so goodnight

Laura

Day three: Today we had a bible study and attended church. The church service was very nice, but I admit that I did waste some time wondering why the stained glass was orange and black. Very strange colors if you ask me. The theme of the day was "the Good Samaritan," which has always been a favorite of mine. It has a special place in my heart because it's a motivation to serve without expecting a reward, even gratitude from whoever you help. Also, I particularly enjoy the story because of a chapel my fifth grade class did where Sam, Savannah, and Jessica were the robbers who beat up Paul. What a great memory…
Anyway, we also checked out the worksites today. It was lots of driving, which is definitely not my favorite activity. I got very carsick on the way to the bridge site, but then I got to sit in the fun car. Tom told me a lot about the area since he's from NC, and he had some interesting facts and fun stories. My favorite was a story about one of his friends who got a DUI while riding a horse. Apparently he wouldn't have gotten caught had he not been riding through backyards tearing down clothes lines.
Solomon and I have been thwarted every time we try to play One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Perhaps tomorrow.
We always have good food. Super good food. Today was lasagna.
I enjoyed Bible study today a lot more than yesterday. We read all of Colossians and didn't discuss moonshine at all. We also do this thing where we buddy up and pray for each other, and I really like it.
Anyway, we got our site assignments, and I'm fixing a bridge and roof or something. Which should be fun. The only issue is that this particular site is the one high in the mountains whose roads made me sick. So pray for me, and pray for effective motion sickness pills.
I think we're going to Walmart tomorrow, so I can visit my T-rex friend. This trip is fun. Also we're showering tomorrowfor the first time in a while.

Solomon

Today we got up and got dressed and showered and went to church. Not in that order though. Wearing clothes in the shower would just be super silly. We went to church. It was a nice service with a sermon on the Good Samaritan and some good old traditional hymns! It was a little weird being in a church where everyone wasn't singing just as loud as I was! The people of Emmanuel continue to provide us with absolutely delicious food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!Tonight we had lasagna and garlic bread, with a myriad of delicious desserts!. My personal favorite was the lemon cake, although the strawberry cake was a close second!

We toured all the sites today, which amounted to about 5 or 6 hours in the car. The Michigan crew rode together (Plus Steve from Pennsylvania) and we played a few card games. I learned how to play Old Maid (I didn't lose a single game!) and played some more euchre. We also played a few games of Heads Up on Emily's phone (It's kinda like Taboo or Catchphrase). The scenery was beautiful too. I always like looking at mountains with trees!

Other than that we just listened to music and took the occasional nap, although mine was interrupted by a turn that slammed my head into the hard part of the seat belt. I also took a pretty hard fall when we were playing Kids from Mars later in the day. It's a fun game where you have to run past the two "kids from mars" and get to the other side of the gym whenever they call a color you're wearing. Anyway, it was right after dinner, so I was a little slow and I tried to cut around the kid from mars, but there was another person running in the exact opposite direction and we kinda smacked into each other. So I have a bit of a headache. So I got tagged the first round because I couldn't quite get up fast enough.



But anyway, back to the sites! So there's four sites this year. The first is a deaf lady who had a leaky roof and several of the bedrooms have extensive water damage. A previous group fixed the roof and repainted her house, so now we are going to repair the inside. The second site has a deck that is pretty close to having somebody fall through it that we're going to rebuild, plus some flooring inside. The third site has a bridge that we're rebuilding! Like for cars to drive on! A bridge! Also some roofing to be fixed. The fourth site, which is the one I was assigned to, is a septic site. We are putting in a new drainage field for the septic system. We don't have to dig a pit because their tank is working. Although it's a lot less work without a pit, it will be a little sad that we don't get to dig one. There's just something fun about standing in an eight-foot pit that you dug yourself! I also get to be on a site with my mom for the first time in four yearsand I have some old friends from previous worksites that I have the pleasure of working with again, as well as some new faces that I hope to get to know well over the coming week!





God's Blessings!